Sunday, May 9, 2010

2007 Franciscan Chardonnay Napa Valley


I had the opportunity to taste a chardonnay new to me this past Thursday as part of the massive Twitter taste with folks all around the world. Great events to participate in as you meet many wine lovers as well as some cool wineries. I chose the 2007 Franciscan Chardonnay from Napa Valley because of their reputation for producing excellent wine. My visit to Napa will include a stop at their winery.

What outstanding aromas I enjoy from this chardonnay. First a crisp citrus filled my nose along with a pear/apple combination. Secondly, the oak seemed overpowering the more I swirled but lets give her a taste.

When tasting the pear/citrus combination shows its character first. Second I get a nice apple flavor followed by some creamy vanilla. Finally the wine finished with oak and mineral (minerality is something I have not experienced in a chardonnay. Usually its buttery/oak at the finish). Nice fruit definately full bodied, excellent California Chardonnay.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: