Monday, August 23, 2010

2008 Eric Ross Saralee's Vineyard Pinot Noir


When my wife and I headed West to Napa/Sonoma for our June vacation, a must stop was to Eric Ross Winery in Glen Ellen to visit a native Iowan Eric Luse (owner, winemaker, photographer and head BS'er). My friend in DesMoines who had the pleasure of visiting Eric at one of the blogger conferences, said I would love his Pinot and all his other wines. Magic word wine and I am all ears.


The wine I chose tonight was one I purchased after a taste at the winery. The 2008 Pinot Noir Saralee's Vineyard exhibits the characteristics of a great wine produced from the russian river valley in california. First aroma once in the glass was that of spicy cola. I would have bet anything before I swirled we were going to get cherry but noooo it was the cola first then the wine opened up to reveal the dark cherry. Finally a hint of cranberry at the end and a slight hint of vanilla.

Could I hug the vines that produced this fruit please? Your first taste is the juicy dark cherry followed quickly by the slight cranberry. Impressed how the fruit stays juicy all through the finish and lingers long. Towards the middle to end the plum flavor appears and finally a slight hint of vanilla. The flavors compliment each other very well and really showcase the fruit used in creating this masterpiece. I would give this wine 5 thumbs up but I only have 2 :)

Visit Eric's website Eric Ross Winery to purchase some of his award winning wines for yourself. Would love to hear if you enjoy them as much as I do. Eric I will be placing my order shortly!

Cheers
Dan

No comments: