Wednesday, August 11, 2010

2008 Owen Roe Chapel Block Syrah


How many times does one receive a 97 point sample from a very fine winery? Considering this is my first I would have to state rare! Well count my lucky stars Happy Wine Wednesday,  I was able to share this great wine with Brett and Brooke a couple of wine buddies from work. Both by the way are big Syrah fans and loved this beauty.
You have read in a few prior posts how much I enjoy the wines of Owen Roe and their winemaker David O'Reilly, even having the opportunity to chat with him about his wine philosophy. For the record this wine is worth every penny!

The grapes for this wine were harvested from one of the premier sites for Syrah in the Pacific NW the Red Willow Vineyard. Based on the aroma and flavor I would agree. I know...... time for the review.

The aroma of the ripe blueberry hits the nose first which we all 3 agreed and enjoyed. Next the smokey cedar was evident followed by the lavender. Nice combination and can't wait to taste.

After the first taste you can quickly determine why this wine scored so well. Juicy blueberry carries from start to finish. Vanilla and smoke round out the flavors with a touch of spice at the end. Definately full bodied and a big hit with all of us. One comment from the group "This is one of the very best Syrah's I have tasted". Served with the wine this evening was smokey cheddar and swiss cheese which complimented the wine perfectly.

Zoe a big thank you for the opportunity to taste an amazing Syrah. David you have outdone yourself once again. Readers and Syrah fans your mission is to track down a bottle of this fine wine and taste for yourselves. When you find one let me know. I need another bottle.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: