Wednesday, September 29, 2010

2009 Dutcher Crossing Sauvignon Blanc Dry Creek Valley


The second purchase at the all popular "meet the owner, winemaker" tasting event at First Avenue Wine House featuring Deb Mathy and Kerry Damskey was the 2009 Sauvignon Blanc. Up till this year I actually would "shy" away from Sauv Blanc due to the overpowering grapefruit flavor which I felt flat ruined the wine. Funny how your opinion changes when you find some folks who make great Sauv Blanc and now I really enjoy them.

Both at the tasting and home the combination of floral notes and crisp citrus on the nose really excited me. Some melon, grapefruit, slight pineapple along with a citrus zest rounded out my aromas. The wine is a blend of 79% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Roussane, 10% Viognier and 7% Semillon

Excellent Sauvignon Blanc. The melon/grapefruit flavor was very mellow and combined with a lemon zest that lingered long. I pick up a hint of pineapple in the middle. No one flavor or aroma was dominate and I think that really makes the wine. Crisp refreshing I enjoyed this with some baked cod with a lemon zest in the coating and the wine paired nicely. I also enjoyed after dinner and found the wine alone smooth. I've found a Sauv Blanc I will always keep on hand! Matter of fact I found Dutcher Crossing to have outstanding wines which I will always have on hand for friends to enjoy.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: