Saturday, November 27, 2010

2009 Wente Vineyards Chardonnay Morning Fog


I knew the Wente Vineyards name but for some reason had never tasted their wines. My choice to serve with the Thanksgiving Turkey was their chardonnay which I purchased at my local wine shop.

Located in Livermore Valley which sits east of San Francisco, the winery founded over 125 years ago was the first California winery to produce a wine labeled as Chardonnay. The description of the vineyard on the bottle "Our Morning Fog Chardonnay is Estate Grown in the Livermore Valley, a region where the vineyards are cooled by morning fog that rolls in from the San Francisco Bay, resulting in longer hang-time and enhanced varietal character." Sounds like a beautiful place doesn't it!

The wine looked perfect as I poured it in the glass. Clear and crisp, the aroma of green apple and pear filled my nose first. Vanilla and fresh melon followed by a very slight hint of oak. Wonderful aromas and very pleasing to the nose.

The wine was a great pairing with the seasonings in the stuffing and the bird. I loved the apple melon combination at the beginning of the wine. The middle features a creamy vanilla along with a hint of pear and citrus. The layers of flavor are so well balanced and the finish crisp. Awesome bottle of wine and one I highly recommend if you love chardonnay.

To learn more about Wente Vineyards and the wonderful wines they produce click on the link to visit their website.

Cheers and Happy Holidays
Dan

No comments: