Sunday, December 12, 2010

2007 Sharecroppers Pinot Noir Owen Roe


Once having the opportunity to meet David O'Reilly of Owen Roe Winery (located in beautiful St Paul Oregon) on both his visits here to Iowa, taste an outstanding portfolio of wines I was blown away and became an immediate fan. Each bottle that I purchase at the event tends to be consumed at an early age (wine is meant to be enjoyed right!) but this particular bottle aged a few months. Having my discussion with David he said it will be even better 3-5 years down the road. Guess I better locate a few more!

Honestly I could smell this wine all day long. Wonderful red cherry aroma as you first stick your nose in the glass. Cola as I swirl a second time followed by a wonderful spice and a hint of earthiness. Beautiful color on the wine and it's screaming "drink me now"!

Excellent Pinot Noir. The cherry and red raspberry fill your mouth like an explosion of fresh fruit. The hint of cinnamon spice warms the mouth and a slight touch of pepper at the end begs you to drink more. The finish is long and smooth. I purchased this bottle for $17.99 but it drinks more like $25.00.

Folks if you have an opportunity to partake in an Owen Roe wine tasting do not pass it up. Even better if David O'Reilly is there to sign your bottle and chat about his philosophy on wine making. Cool winemaker outstanding wines.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: