Saturday, February 19, 2011

2005 Bouchaine Pinot Noir Carneros


In honor of reading Vertical I felt the need to enjoy a wonderful pinot noir for such a special occasion. I chose Bouchaine partly because I love Carneros wine and from reading about them in the book A Moveable Thirst. Scouring the Pinot aisle at Benz Beverage Depot I spotted this new wine never tasted by yours truly. "Hey Matt this is your last bottle" and with a smile he informed me it was also good :)

Bouchaine Vineyards is located in Southern Napa Valley and specializes in delicious Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in a region perfectly suited for these varietals. Located at 1075 Buchli Station Road in Napa, the winery is open for tasting from 10:30am to 4pm daily.

What a wonderful nose on this wine. The dark cherries really come to the front quickly followed by a fresh red berry combination. Prior to the wine opening up the presence of the orange peel which I have never experienced in a pinot was very evident. The aroma finishes with that wonderful earthiness of carneros.

Ok I'm in heaven. The dark cherry flavor combined with the wonderful warming spice and ending with a hint of earthiness makes this one outstanding Pinot Noir. Elegant, smooth and rich this wine will spoil the pinot lover.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: