Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 12th TasteLive California Chardonnay & The Summer Grill


Its been awhile since I was on a TasteLive panel but very honored to be part of  California Chardonnay & The Summer Grill featuring the wines of Gloria Ferrer Vineyards, Krutz Family Cellars and Rodney Strong Estate Vineyards. It was an excellent lineup of chardonnay and one I really enjoyed with many of my blogger friends from across the country.

The first wine we opened the 2008 Gloria Ferrer Carneros Chardonnay. I thoroughly enjoy each bottle from their winery as the flavors and aromas are well balanced and the wine is easy to drink. Once in the glass a very nice citrus and pear aroma. Next ripe apple and an excellent spice which tickled my nose. Green apple starts your tasting pleasure with a long juicy lemon citrus finish. As the wine warmed in my glass tropical fruit appeared. Love Carneros Chardonnay and a big thanks to Steve & Gloria Ferrer.

The second wine we opened was the 2008 Krutz Family Cellars Chardonnay Sleepy Hollow Vineyards Santa Lucia Highlands. Excellent wine and one I thought was much better the longer the wine opened up. This would be my first bottle of the Krutz Chardonnay and definately not my last. The aroma of pineapple, spice and creamy vanilla were very pleasing to my nose. The flavors were awesome with spiced apple, pear, pineapple and as the wine warmed the citrus and creamy vanilla. Patrick thanks for allowing us to taste this beauty and I will have to try this with maple syrup for breakfast!

The final wine was the 2009 Rodney Strong Vineyards Chardonnay Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards. I have tasted Rodney Strong wines a good number of times and always find them excellent and very food friendly. Right away there is a big pear aroma that hits your nose followed by apple. Spice and oak are present towards the end of the smell. Ripe fruit (pear, apple and a slight hint of melon) with a creamy finish of vanilla and toasty oak are a perfect combination. Justin thank you as well for an awesome offering.

Well there you have it another successful Tastelive event with 3 very good Chardonnays. A big thanks to Cailyn McCauley and Joel Quigley for an excellent evening. Thank you to the wonderful winemakers for creating the juice we all enjoyed this evening.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: