Sunday, November 13, 2011

2009 Campesino Papi y Chula Vineyard Pinot Noir Los Carneros Napa Valley



When my friend Carrie from Napa Valley Wine and Cigar  asked if I would like to taste their most popular turkey day pinot my answer quickly heck yes (remember I am referred to as Pinot God or Miles depending on who you speak with).

Campesino is a very small production pinot (50 cases) owned by Macario and Griselda Montoya. Mrs Montoya coincidentally grew up around the grapes of Carneros and her brothers and their wives are the founders of Ceja Vineyards (another of my Carneros favorites). Macario educated at Notre Dame in South Bend Indiana (Go Irish), is the winemaker with a very simple philosophy: "Wines are an expression of the earth and are made in the vineyard. It's the job of the winemaker to finish the process." Well said Macario! The hands on the beautiful label are those of Pablo Ceja (Griselda's father) a man who worked the vineyards tirelessly so that his family could have a better life.

Carrie and I commented how wonderful the aroma's were straight from the bottle. Carneros wines tend to have a eucalyptus aroma which is a dead giveaway to the region. I don't find that in this wine but what I do is pure perfection. Beautiful cherry followed by cola and finishing with a lovely spice. Simple and elegant.

Heaven in a bottle! A delicious ripe cherry with slight hints of fresh strawberry and finishing with the perfect amount of spice. Silky smooth and soft as velvet. Macario you have created one of the finest bottles of Pinot Noir I have ever tasted.

Please stop by their website by clicking the link Campesino Cellars to learn more about their story and ordering wine. Carrie I can see why this wine is a favorite with your customers and thanks for letting me taste this with you. Folks in and around the Napa area support your local wine store by stopping in to see Carrie for a bottle or 2.

Cheers
Dan

1 comment:

Cellarmistress said...

Oh!! THAT IS A GOOD ONE!! I love all these best kept secrets! Everyone should drink this wine!