Sunday, January 20, 2013

2011 Block Nine Caiden's Vineyard Pinot Noir


Ron's wine pick at First Avenue Wine House and my favorite varietal, it was a no-brainer purchase. Priced at $14, I'm always looking for that "steal" wine....great taste at a value price. Block Nine was produced by winemaker Larry Levin a veteran in the wine industry. His experience includes making wine in Chile, New Zealand, Australia, Dry Creek Vineyard and Icon Estates. Created out of the need for more economically priced pinots, the wine clocks in at 13.1% and captures some nice flavor.

On the nose cherry, dark tea, violets, cloves, with hints of leather and strawberry. In the mouth ripe cherry and strawberry with clove and a hint of vanilla. The finish is both juicy and spicy. Pretty good pinot for the price. I'm torn is the wine too young with it's tightness on the start of the taste but then on the finish it softens so will it age? I would ask my readers to try a bottle and let me know their thoughts.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: