Sunday, April 14, 2013

2010 Jeff Runquist Wines Amador Barbera


I missed Jeff's visit to my friend Traci's tasting at First Avenue Wine House (make sure you check out her great selection of wines) due to a last minute fiasco but naturally I stopped the next day to get a report and to purchase some wine. The turn out was awesome and folks really like these wines. He has a huge following with the locals here and he just got another fan! I'm sad I missed him.

18 years of producing wines for others encouraged Jeff to launch his own label with the 1995 vintage "Z" Zinfandel from Mission Ranch in Amador County's Shenandoah Valley. Having stops at Montevina Wines in Amador County, Napa Valley Cooperative in St Helena, J Lohr in San Jose and Paso Robles and now at McManis Family Winery which by the way he helped design and construct. The fall of 2006 He purchased a 5 acre parcel in Amador County's Shenandoah Valley and constructed a small winery and tasting room in 2008.

What you will find in Jeff's wines are fresh vibrant flavors with each varietal. He meticulously selects grapes that provide rich full flavors without loads of tannins and are well balanced. He was honored last year with the prestigious Andre` Tchelistchef Winemaker Of The Year Award from the San Francisco International Wine Competition. Well done Jeff!

Really great nose on the Barbera with loads of rich red ripe fruit. Cherry and raspberry treat the senses with allspice, nutmeg and hints of vanilla. I close my eyes and picture cherry and raspberry turnovers.

I am now a huge fan of Barbera. The cherry and raspberry (my 2 favorite red berries) are so juicy from start to finish. Touch of oak and vanilla nutmeg in the middle with a soft berry finish. Smooth and silky....Jeff you have a gift for making great Barbera.

Sorry I missed all the fun but I do have a few other bottles to taste. I hope there is a return visit by Jeff Runquist Wines because I won't miss that tasting. Stop by their tasting room open Friday-Sunday 11-5 located at 10776 Shenandoah Road Plymouth California for a taste and to pick up a few bottles. Exceptional juice with a winelover price tag.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: