Monday, September 5, 2016

Winestudio Our Finale The Wines Of Marche and Umbria Castello Di Magione


*Wine Scholarship Samples*

As we participants bid farewell to the wines of Marche and Umbria, there were still facts to share and 3 amazing wines to drink from Umbria. Special thanks tonight to Fritz Winery and Giulia Luccioli for all the insight into the region and wines this evening. From the Order Of Malta to the history of the land and philosophy, I would love to now visit and ingrain myself with the culture. I always feel a sense of emptiness when our hour concludes.

The first wine was the 2013 Grechetto a crisp offering which is typically served as an apertif but I also see this as pairing well with a nice shrimp scampi. Excellent floral and mineral notes, tropical fruit along with lemon citrus making this start to the evening spectacular.


What Italian wine tasting would not be complete without this 2014 Sangiovese. The aromatics are beautiful with red fruit notes, a hint of spice and black tea. The mouth is luscious with sour cherry, strawberry with a hint of spice and dusty earth. Elegant juice. My absolute favorite of the night although all wines were very good. If someone told me I could have this wine everyday at every meal both hands would be up.....yes please.

The final wine of the evening the 2008 Morcinaia a blend of 40% Cabernet, 40% Merlot and 20% Sangiovese.The nose exhibits rich ripe dark fruit with currants and dried herbs.The mouth is soft with blackberries, plum, cherries with a hint of raspberry and well complimented by the currants and dried spice. Rich and so screamed for a nice pepper crusted grilled beef filet.

A trip to Italy is on my bucket list. A stop in Umbria and Marche is a must. Thank you Tina for this educational series and our guests Clay, Jonathan, Giulia for all your knowledge of the regions and especially the wines. I have a new love of Italy and you introduced me to some beautiful wines. Grazie!

Cheers
Dan